Matthew L. Hoppock
Matthew Hoppock is an Associate with the Kansas City office. A significant portion of his practice focuses on federal litigation and federal Circuit Court appeals related to immigration issues. Matthew also represents individuals and businesses in immigration matters as well as in general civil litigation, including:
- Commercial Litigation and E-Discovery
- Immigration-related litigation and Circuit Court appeals
- Immigration Appeals to the BIA, AAU, and BALCA
- Asylum & Refugee issues, U visas, and T visas
- Family-based visa petitions
- Gatimi v. Holder, 578 F. 3d 611 - Court of Appeals, 7th Cir. 2009 - Won reversal of a denied asylum application leading to a change in the interpretation of "particular social groups" for asylum applicants.
- Marin-Rodriguez v. Holder, 612 F.3d 591, 592-93 (7th Cir. 2010) - Published decision rejecting the BIA's denial of jurisdiction in motions to reopen or reconsider for departed immigrants.
- Villatoro-Lopez v. Holder, 445 Fed.Appx (7th Cir. 2011) - Successfully appealed denial of asylum application, challenging transcript errors, leading to a new hearing.
- Omondi v. Holder, 674 F.3d 793 (8th Cir. 2012). Won reversal in asylum case on the issue of corroboration of otherwise-credible testimony and deficiencies in transcript.
- Lari v. Holder, 697 F.3d273 (5th Cir. 2012) - Appealed denial of motion to reopen based on "departure bar," leading to precediential 5th Circuit decision rejecting the departure bar.
- Musau v. Carlson, 499 Fed.Appx. 837, 2012 WL 4903251 (10th Cir. 2012) - Successfully appealed denied petition for writ of habeas corpus based on eligibility for protection under the UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime (UN-TOC).
- Flores v. Holder, 699 F.3d 998 (8th Cir. 2012) - Won reversal of asylum decision based on persecution of applicant's family members in El Salvador.
- Alphonus v. Holder, 705 F.3d 1031 (9th Cir. 2013) - Successfully appealed Immigration Judge decision that "resisting arrest" was a "particularly serious crime."
- B.A. Philosophy, Kansas State University, 2005
- J.D. University of Kansas, 2008
- State of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- President, Immigration Law Section of the Kansas Bar Association
- Member, Kansas Bar Association
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Publications and Seminars
- "Forgotten Social Groups," 4 J. Migration & Refugee Issues 126 (2008)
- "Asylum, VAWA, and U Visas," CLE Sponsored by Husch Blackwell (2011)
- "Witness Protection & UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime" CLE Sponsored by American Immigration Lawyers Association (2012)
- "Best Practices in Stays of Removal and Filing Form I-246" CLE for Kansas and Missouri Chapter of American Immigration Lawyers Association (2013)